Thursday, December 17, 2009

I should be headed to bed...

It was another night like last night. Not much to say, and no pictures to show, since I just whittled at my task list. Speaking of task lists, if anyone is looking for super simple online to-do list management, this site is very cool. I just wish I could use it. It's much too simple for what I'm used to.

So, I'm thinking about next year and how I might designate business vacation days for myself ahead of time. You know, when I know that a busy time is approaching, it's around a holiday or after a busy time, etc. My workaholic self would probably work right through those vacations, though. This year when I was feeling uninspired or lost, or just tired, I took a break. I relaxed on the couch, I watched movies with Dan, I cleaned (though you wouldn't know it by looking at my house right now), and all was good. I took the days I needed and got back into the swing of things. I'm just not sure if I want to continue with what works, or try a different route.

My word for the year has also been in the back of my head—margin. As I went from day to day, I would think about creating margin for myself. Making sure that I made time to just hang out and do nothing, spend time with friends, get out of the house (now I sound like a shut-in), and reduce stress by not over-scheduling or saying yes to everything. While there were some very hectic weeks this year, during the Fall in particular, I think I did a pretty good job with the margin factor.

[Side note: That whole "say yes to everything?" We had a series at church about commitment and it was fantastic to hear. It was all about making your NO mean NO, and your YES mean YES. You can hear the messages here. The series is at the bottom of the page.]

Anyway, as depressing as this post may sound, I've enjoyed this crazy business journey. I will continue to follow my dream, continue to work hard at what I'm passionate about, continue to create days of rest for myself (somehow), and see where I'm led.

Goodnight.

[Edited to add: I just checked my twitter stream, and I saw this site about choosing six habits for 2010. Leo from Zen Habits will help you form those habits. I am horrible at creating (good) habits because I'm not patient enough with the process, so I might look into this. Let me know if you decide to do it.]

0 comments:

Tweet Tweet

Blog Archive

Search

  © Brooklyn Template modified by Rye Designs

Back to TOP